Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Nalladhor Veenai Seidhe

Having crafted a wonderful Veena - will you
consign it to dust and let it rot?
Tell me O' Goddess -
You created me with radiant wisdom ;
Won't you give me strength - for me
to live a life fruitful to this land?
Tell me O' Goddess - will you
make me live as a burden to this land?

Like a swiftly thrown ball - a body
ready to spring on brain's command I ask.
Spotless mind I ask - a life
born anew daily I ask.
Even when my skin is aflame - a heart
that sings thy praise I ask.
Unshakeable wisdom I ask - Is there
anything that stops you from bestowing these?


நல்லதோர் வீணை செய்தே - அதை
நலங்கெடப் புழுதியி லெறிவ துண்டோ?
சொல்லடி சிவசக்தி! - எனைச்
சுடர்மிகு மறிவுடன் படைத்து விட்டாய்,
வல்லமை தாராயோ, - இந்த
மாநிலம் பயனுற வாழ்வதற்கே?
சொல்லடி, சிவசக்தி! - நிலச்
சுமையென வாழ்ந்திடப் புரிகுவையோ?

விசையுறு பந்தினைப்போல் - உள்ளம்
வேண்டிய படிசெலும் உடல்கேட்டேன்,
நசையறு மனங்கேட்டேன், - நித்தம்
நவமெனச் சுடர்தரும் உயிர்கேட்டேன்,
தசையினைத் தீசுடினும் - சிவ
சக்தியைப் பாடுநல் லகங்கேட்டேன்,
அசைவறு மதிகேட்டேன்;- இவை
அருள்வதில் உனக்கெதுந் தடையுளதோ?

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Nice translation...Captures the essence of the poem so beautifully in English :-)

2:32 PM  
Blogger An unborn child said...

Good work :)
Replacing 'Ask' with 'Seek' guess would be more appropriate.

11:47 PM  
Blogger Karthik Padmanabhan said...

Thank you.

5:30 PM  
Blogger mitty said...

Beauty !!! Thanks for the transalation !!! Tamil is OOOOOosome !!

11:19 AM  
Blogger mitty said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

11:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home